This search engine currently features 384,116 records from 201 different data sources, covering everything from birth, death, marriage and divorce records to phonebooks, school and landowner records, all from the former Austro-Hungarian province of Galicia, which today is part of eastern Poland and western Ukraine. Although Gesher Galicia's focus is researching Jewish roots in this region, the diverse community sources of information in this database also contain names that span all the ethnic and religious groups who lived in the area, so not everyone listed in this database will necessarily be Jewish.
Notes about search
- All fields are optional. You can search by given name, by surname, or a combination of both. You can also search by house number and/or town name. You can limit your search results to a specific geographic area. And you can choose to sort your results by record addition date or by other criteria, if you like.
- Expand and contract your records. Click on the blue plus sign next to each of your search results to show all of the information about a given record, not just the primary names associated with it.
- Use facets to narrow your search results. You can click on the links in the sidebar to focus your search on a particular "facet", or sub-set of your search results, such as record type, town, year, etc. The facets will also help give you an overview of all information associated with your search, such as the other surnames commonly attached to the surname you queried, the towns often associated with the surname, etc.
- Find phonetically similar surnames with Beider-Morse Phonetic Matching. Use the checkbox underneath the Surname field to enable or disable this capability. We recommend enabling it, so that you can find surnames that were similar but may have had an alternate spelling in the original records.
- You can use asterisks to do wildcard searches. For example, entering SCHR* in the surname field will show all surnames beginning with that string, such as SCHRANK, SCHREYER, etc. You can also use a wildcard (or even multiple wildcards!) in the middle or the end of a name, such as *WITZ or K*H*N. There is no minimum number of letters that you have to enter. Wildcards will work in the Given Name field too.
- Some common synonyms and kinnui for Given Names have been enabled. For example, searching for Rebecca will also turn up matches for names like Rivka, Becky, etc. A search for Hersch will find spelling variants like Hers and Hirsch, but also Tvi and Zvi. Learn more about Jewish given names and kinnui here.
- Map that town! If your record results show a modern-day town name underlined in light blue, click that link to show a helpful pop-up map of the area.
We welcome submissions of new data sets. Do you (or someone you know) have copies of records that could be helpful to genealogists and historians researching Galicia? Vital records, yearbooks, landsmanschaften records, Chevra Kaddisha books, tax lists, census records, and so on? If so, please let us know, and we can add them here so everyone can benefit. We do not have a requirement for a minimum number of records, so any type of material is welcome.
Recent Additions19 November 2015
- Austrian Ministry of Interior - Small-scale trading, craft in the years 1899-1909
- Austrian Ministry of Trade and Industry - Files Relating to Licenses from the Years 1900, 1905-1907, 1912-1914
- Austrian Ministry of Trade and Industry - Matters relating to Alcohol Sale without License 1905-1914
- Busk Voters Region 5 (1922)
- Założce - List of Vodka Buyers in Założce Castle Storehouse from 19 to 27 June 1846
- Austrian Ministry of Interior Licenses for Production and Sale of Alcohol (1900-1909)
- Lviv - Report from the activities of the First Jewish Association of Ladies providing free lunch meals for poor pupils of higher schools (1886-1887)
18 November 2015
- Zabolotiv (Zabłotów) Residents (1939)
- Ostrów Landowners (1849)
- Chodakówka Landowners (1849)
- Zuklin Landowners (1849)
- Łopuszka Mała Landowners (1851)
- Hadle Szklarskie Landowners (1849)
- Tarnawka Landowners (1851)
- Siennów Landowners (1851)
17 November 2015
- Jawornik Polski Landowners (1851)
- Siedleczka Landowners (1850)
- Pantalowice Landowners (1849)
- Nowosielce Landowners (1849)
- Gać (Gmina Gać) Landowners (1849)
- Sietesz Landowners (1849)
- Sędziszów Landowners (1820)
- Sędziszów Landowners (1849)
- Rudnik Landowners (1853)
16 November 2015
- Jezierna (Ozerna) Jewish Birth Records (1898-1927)
- Bialy Kamien Jewish Death Records (1885-1897)
- Bialy Kamien Jewish Death Records (1897-1906)
10 November 2015
- Skala List of Residents (1810)
- Skala List of Landowners (1880)
09 November 2015:
- Skala List of Schools in the District at the End of 1899, 1902 and 1905
- Skala List of Closed Schools (1877)
08 November 2015:
- Zborów Birth Book (1819-1838)
- Żurawno Jewish Marriage Index (1841-1876, 1901-1939)
08,11,14,21 October 2015:
- Podhajce Jewish Death Records (1892-1900, 1904-1910)
- Jezierzany (Ozeryany) Jewish Marriage Records (1863-1876)
- Jezierzany (Ozeryany) Jewish Birth Records (1815-1873)
- Sambor Jewish Marriage Records (1891-1897)
- Jezierzany (Ozeryany) Jewish Death Records (1816-1876)
- Obertyn Jewish Marriage Index (1890-1938)
- Zbaraz Jewish Death Records (1804-1858; 1894-1942) (updated)
- Brody Census Records (1850-1857)
- Tarnopol Jewish Resident records - Letters G,H,I,J,K,L,M & N,S,T & V (1930s)
Where are the records for my town?
The All-Galicia Database is still evolving and it's only as good and as complete as the records that we have collected and transcribed so far. If you'd like to see more vital records here from your town of interest, please join Gesher Galicia today to help us further research this area of the world, and/or make a donation towards the records acquisition from your town! Gesher Galicia is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, so your donation is tax deductible in the United States. Thank you for your support!